Wednesday, November 22, 2006

PDA of a different kind

You know you are getting older when stuff like this bugs you!

Had dinner ALONE at BIG-O. My cousin was in town after an eye op so after the tuition session with her daughter, we ended up chatting and catching up. Haven't had a chance to see her when I was working at... Stayed much longer than I should; anyway the rain was very heavy. My 'dun leave home' without it brolly nowadays could not handle the wind! To cut long story short, had to go Popular to buy some books for niece so ended up at Orchard MRT. Walked to Borders and got the December issue of EVERYDAY FOOD. Recipes in this issue are more interesting than November's THANKSGIVING issue. That'll be a separate post.

Ended up paying way too much for a light dinner, iced tea and a slice of cheesecake at Big O Cage. Faced rejection when my CC was rejected. Big time MALU! Must get off my butt and get back to work.

No cab in sight at my secret location cab stands so I decided to take a bus. It was just outside Royal Plaza on Scotts (currently under refurbishment, graphic design on new logo looks promising) that I spotted them. Now, you would reckon that the LV attache case would be in the hands of the gal pal. However, in this equation it was the opposite. She was carrying some dingy Puma or Le Coq Sportif bag that didn't look genuine or had at least seen better days. Both were in black and caught my eye coz (a) they were directly in front of me (b) walking very very slowly and (c) coo-ing away at each other.

So I end up at the bus stop outside Thong Teck building. The bendy 190 that had come along was crowded so I thought I'd wait for the next. Mr & Ms Black come along, stand at the edge of the bus stop and begin coo-ing. They also begin one of the longest smooches in public history (nothing like that famous photo of the sailor and gal kissing in Times Square or something after WWII), much to the discomfort of the folks around them (me included). The older folks were clearly appalled and shot the oblivious pair dirty looks. I was trying hard not to look like a kay-poh (busybody) but what to do when everywhere I turn they were they (and blocking my view of the road!) Hehe, so one couple, obviously married and in mid-30s, decides to retaliate by being a little bit lovey-dovey too!!!!

2 thoughts ran through my mind -
1) AWWWWWWWWWWWW how sweet! Young love! They'd make great models for ROMANCING SINGAPORE type campaigns. It brought a wee, slight smile as it was nice to know that romance was still alive.

2) The appropriateness of such behaviour in public. Having been an educator, lectured sexuality ed classes to high schoolers, this was exactly what most teachers and parents were trying to warn kids against. I ain't no prude, been there done that (but not so drama lah!) but there is a level to which society is able to accept such behaviour. At the end of the day, we're still living in an Asian society, though with fast changing norms and views steering towards the Western model.

I am sure I won't be the last to cringe at our lovebats (they were in full black (except for the LV bag which I am sure is not the genuine article), down to the spectacle frames) but then again, they won't be the last young couple we see on Orchard Road living in their own dream world.

No comments: