Monday, November 27, 2006

HILANG.....

The weather is getting to me. All this rain is making me depressed. Ask D about how I felt yesterday. Maybe turning a year older has something to do with it. The old cliche of a year older and wiser should be changed to a year older and poorer for me. Seems I am not getting anywhere at all. Oh well. Enough doom and gloom. One bright spark was that the SIXTERS got me out for dinner on Friday and we had a ball of a time catching up. Other than that, no one else in my family remembered. But then again, the Sixters are family to me. They have always been there for me and saw me through some extremely difficult moments in my life. Guess for only kids like me, close friends are the siblings we never had. Pardon the sentimental mood. It's the weather I tell you!

Anyhow...I started a temp thingie at NUS yesterday. For now it's data entry, which can be a nice respite after the past few hectic years in my past 2 jobs. Anyhow, it's also in the sciences, which I have not much exposure to. Well, if you count the fact that I did Human & Social Bio for my O's. Shall treat it as a good learning experience! The other learning point for me is trying to navigate around NUS. My visits to Kent Ridge have always been specific - using the Central Library (illegally) during my NIE days, having lunch at the Arts & Soci canteen with J & A or visiting E at his Smiling Gecko shop. Good thing I knew where key landmarks were.

Now, those of you who know me, my nickname is The Map. Remember all the times you gals called me for directions??? That meant I could find SUBWAY (Monday is roast beef day!) for lunch and of course, this coffee junkie had no trouble locating Spinelli's . However, after lunch, I got stuck in a sudden downpour and found myself stranded at Subway. Had to call my friend,KP who works at NUS for help. He told me to 'follow the yellow brick road' (er, roof) all the way back to the Science Faculty. Which I did, except the rain got heavier and I had to dive into the Spinelli's at the University Hall for a spot of Honey Camomile tea. Heheh. Had one more cup while waiting for D. He figures at least a third of my hard earned pay will go to Spinelli's. I hope not!

It's funny - I feel like a stranger in my own land while I am on Kent Ridge. Having not gone through the local varsity system (failed Chinois and Econs, what to do?) = reason one. The other reason is that I observed lots of foreign students. Guess it's also good that they consider NUS for their overseas education. Of course being in NUS also brings back memories of my undergrad days at WSU (but minus the snow!). Funny how back then I never reckoned my life would turn out this way. Had a route all mapped out but then life takes unexpected twists.

I'm rambling so it means it's time to go.



No comments: