Friday, November 10, 2006

Of bikes, birds and Biennales...

D decided to take a day off from work; he hasn't had a chance to do his annual 'take some leave and do absolutely nothing' yet this year. Was complaining that his mind is blank when he goes to work lately. Don't I know that feeling.

So he went with me to Tanglin Camp to check out the Singapore Biennale. First was brunch at the new food court at the new building at the Tanglin Gate of the Botanic G. Had some creepy guys staring when I was waiting for my food. Makes me awful self-conscious - am I fat? am I spilling out of the green, embroidered bustier top I finally plucked up the courage to wear? Is it the 'chip' on my left shoulder? Or was it all 3? Luckily, I was distracted by 2 guys, their bikes and their parrots. Well a Cockatoo and a Macaw to be exact, who were perched on the handlebars of their bikes. The macaw was a happy camper, swinging and grooving as his owner cycled. I preferred tge cockatoo - have had a soft spot for them since my 1st aunt had when one I was a lil kid. He could mimick the way her husband called her name and say hello! Always wanted one but I think the noise Sonic makes more than makes up for it.

We drove in to the old CMPB (yes to all the young'ens born in the 1980s and beyond, that was the old CMPB!) via the old Civil Service Club side. Should have gone in from the MFA entrance. Had to walk some to get the the 4 buildings which made up the galleries. As we discovered later, not a good idea coz the rain came down, hard,fast and furious. Major puddles.

Free entry, not many people around though. Started with Kuriyabashi's installation. The fish tank would sure throw people off. I could see D was not impressed. We went down to the basement and climbed the ladder to find a surprise. Could see he was wondering if he'd ever get good shots. Guess I forgot to warn him about visual art exhibitions! Photos captured in my flickr account are of stuff that impressed me. Didnt post more cost he hasnt finished converting the photos we shot on the Oly E1 and E300 from raw. It's also grainy coz we had to lower quality to put on flickr. Do note I am still starting out with the DSLRs so excuse the photo quality. However, I can't quite imagine going back to my Coolpix point-and-shoot now that I've started messing about with DSLRs.My fav photo op and piece was by Agathe de Bailiencourt. Would do that to my next pad (much to D's chagrin). Some pieces were a lil bizarre and would have done better if there had been some write up on the artist's inspiration etc. Guess they wanted visitors to try out the 'Walk the Talk' audio guides. That would be harder for the older folks. Or I could have been clouded by some early comments from pals on Biennale and hence the not so enthusiastic response. I enjoyed looking at the architecture of the old barracks though. Wouldn't it be nice to live in one or have a shop in one.

Wanted to swing by the Hive but got vetoed. So opted for CS Jelita but the car park was full. Ended up at The Daily Scoop (http://www.thedailyscoop.com.sg) to ride out the heavy storm over Clementi. Their Lychee Martini and Honey Vanilla ALWAYS hits the spot! The other alternative to Island Creamery. Went home, logged on to Etsy and got some neat prints from Carla Sonheim. Cooked a simple dinner with Chubby Hubby's Negi to buta-niku no itame recipe over mee tai mak. Will try again coz I had no sake so I subbed it with Hua Tiao wine, added some pepper and L&P sauce. Cleaned up kitchen coz dad has been tinkering in it and unpacked the new Tefal stainless steel deep fryer. The pro series...yay!

So maybe today I'll actually start work on my projects???

No comments: