Saturday, July 21, 2007

Singapore Heritage Festival - Culture 101 Talks

I am barely awake...I have had a long week and over active small intestines. So while I take a break from thinking up wild marketing schemes for the PURE EARTH label and minding the menswear outlet (sorry Rashmi if you happen to be reading this!), I thought I may as well blog about what I'm up to. Anyway, if I don't I may fall asleep by the time I get home AND forget what I want to say. Heheh.

Draks has taken his aunt and 2 cute cousins from the USA for ramen at Miharu at the Gallery Hotel. I have to miss this treat as I am running the shop today and the whole of tomorrow. Miharu...I could just wax lyrical over the noodles there. Anyway, I better not harp about it coz I hear my tummy rumbling.

I spent yesterday evening being emcee and moderator for the Culture 101 talks on Art Appreciation at the Singapore Art Museum. Why do I always end up being emcee? It's the first of the few sessions that I have asked to help out at. These talks are held as part of the National Heritage Board's annual Singapore Heritage Festival. My old friends at NHB's Public Education Division had asked for help and I could not refuse them. For more details, check out http://heritagefest.org.sg/2007/official/index.php.

Yesterday's talk was by Low Sze Wee, Assistant Director (Collections) and he gave an introduction to Southeast Asian Art. I did fine and visual art modules during my freshmen year at UWA and as a history major, can appreciate even more what he lectured about last night. I almost thought of architecture as a major back then. Would have made more dough than in my impoverished life now if I had. The crowd was pretty good, almost a hundred people. Some had followed their friends and significant other but the majority had come due to their interest in arts and heritage. A promising sign I must say. I may have left a certain establishment but it doesn't mean I have given up in heritage promotion. Dad instilled that passion in me. Of course, there were some familiar faces on the crowd, people I often see at other heritage events. Oh and I even got a compliment on the latest PURE EARTH dress that came in our last shipment from India. Hope the persons comes in to peruse our wears! (pardon the pun!)

There's a whole lot more of the festival so I do hope everyone will pop by the website and find something to do. You know, we whine all the time and say that Singapore is helluva boring place to live in. But there's actually heaps going on ALL THE TIME...there's many things I am keen on but can't do because it clashes with work or no one wants to go with me. Let's see Sheila Majid concert, Jacky Cheung and Grasshoppers concert, ballroom dancing, batik class......

Will post some links in a later post.

No comments: