Saturday, July 21, 2007

Pasir Panjang Heritage Trail - 21 July

Though it's been a year since I left my old job in heritage, I do miss most elements of my past life. I must say one of the best rewards from that job were getting to know the gang at the Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research, NUS, as well as the many colleagues at my old establishment; hence the earlier post before this one.

After 2 missed attempts as a Pasir Panjang Heritage Guide in Feb and May, I FINALLY got my chance to guide this morning. Had to miss Feb walk coz someone had that complication from the operation and May, I had that nasty flu. I have to admit, I had the shakes last night as I could not keep awake after a long day at school and SAM and dozed off while revising my notes. In excitement, I got up at 5am and dozed off, waking up at 7:10AM (horror, horror...sure kena scolding by Otterman later for my tardiness. No breakfast, a quick shower and off to RMBR, NUS. A chirpy Oi Yee greeted me and jump started my batteries.I had to skip Spinelli's, my usual stop before I head to RMBR and guide the walk on an empty tummy. Met Ruo Yu, RMBR's interns and 2 student volunteers from NUS High. The group was way smaller this year - less than 20 participants and as usual started a little off 8am to wait for the lost sheep.

After the session of RMBR's Public Gallery, the lucky participants were treated to freshly brewed Spinelli's coffee. And then we set off, cutting through the back of the Science and Medical faculties to head up the Ridge. This was a steep climb and I must admit I was huffing a little at the top, though I had to act gung-ho and garang to encourage the participants. A few more of such climbs and I can get back to my lithe self in no time. Glad to have Oi Yee and Wendy as the main nature guides as Oi Yee especially is a treasure trove of information for a non-sciencesy person like me.

It was a nice day, not too hot or humid. It was also my first time doing the walk from Science Park. Past 2 years, I picked the participants up from Harbourfront and spent the trails running around as photographer, logistics, runner or what the army calls lobo. But almost as usual, Wendy and I heard the distant rumble of thunder at the start of the pond and we prompted Oi Yee to hasten the pace. Of course, we did not speed things up too much that participants missed out anything. Luckily we did, coz once we got to the top of the hill, the rain hit. At first it was gentle drizzles and then it poured. Big time. We sought shelter at our usual contingency point, the toilets on the lower lookout point. That's where we carried on our commentaries. Think we picked up some curious members of the public who had just come out of the gents too! Thank goodness, the wind blew the clouds southwards towards the Western Anchorage so we didn't have to wait too long.

The participants were pleasant and the beauty of smaller groups is that we got to interact with them. Of course, teacher that I am, I couldn't resist ticking off the names on the list Eileen had emailed us. I find that helps me get to know the names of the participants; it always works well if we know their names. That personal touch is so important when we work in such settings. Kiah Shen, who was extremely dry I might add, had caught up with us by the time we hit the Tembusu Grove. We made it to Canopy Walk and then ushered them quickly to Reflections at Bukit Chandu. It was threatening to rain again.

Of course, it was like deja vu to stand on the porch and greet everyone. This time it got cut short as Salim announced that he had walk-in visitors waiting for the Sounds of Battle to start. Could not say our good byes as we had planned then so we hung around for the 15 minutes that it took for Sounds to be over. Then Wendy and I went up to tell the folks bye and how to get out of RBC. We left after that for a well-deserved meal at Holland Drive.

So how did it go? Well, I miss having to take photos but at least I have broken the jinx of not being able to guide the PP Heritage Trail. Like any other skill I've picked up along the way, guiding also takes practice and I must not lay off it for too long.

Don't know if I should 'advertise' it but if you haven't had the chance to check out Pasir Panjang the way I have in the past 3 years, do join my kakis for next Saturday's trail. I won't be guiding; I am emcee at 2 back-to-back culture 101 talks but you'll be in good hands with my kawans. Click on Otterman speaks link on this blog for more info.

3 comments:

pinto said...

Hey Stella,

Sounds like you had a positive first Pasir Panjang guiding experience.

Will you be guiding this weekend?

Srinath Reddy said...

Strange how you saw the NUS High Interns (that includes me) and I have no idea who you are. Anyway, I'm dropping in to say hi. I just made the move back to Blogger after 600 or so entries all over 7 blogging engines. Hope to see your comments.

Sonicstarburst said...

Hello Ken!

Not guiding this weekend coz I will be emcee at SHF Culture 101 talks at Toa Payoh CC and then at SAM! Hope it doesn't rain on you guys!

Hello Srinath,

I'm the short-haired one with the green MAO t-shirt, with Ruo Yu. Hi too! Hope you had a great experience guiding. RMBR needs younger ones like you guys to keep the flame going! 7 blogging engines? Wow. I have enough with 4 blogs and 1 engine.