Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Why does it always rain on me?

I've just come back from visiting a dear friend who just had her first baby this morning.New life is something we all look forward to but I almost couldn't make it to the hospital. I had arranged to meet 3 other friends there but missed catching up with them. Here's why.

I had planned to leave RMBR earlier but did not. However, I have finished the data entry portion of my project with them. 1,380 entries or so. It was getting dark when I left at 6pm and before I knew it, the rain started. It was relentless. Had no hands left to open the foldable brolly. Plus my pack had the lap top and my Oly and lense. One word - HEAVY! Flagged a few cabs before rain came but all of them 'buat bodoh! (feigned ignorance). Called Comfort Cab - put on hold. City Cab - line busy. Premier, SMRT - line busy.You pretty much catch the drift!

I finally got through COMFORT after 5 minutes and waited for another few to get a taxi. Thought I was lucky to finally get one - even the 18 to 25 minute wait was fine. I was already late anyway! I received a call from the cab driver 5 minutes into the wait. He was lost so I directed him. Right in front of me was another Comfort cab that had just dropped a passenger off.Tempted as I was to board it, thought since the cab I called for was on the way, I should just wait. It's the proper thing to do!

3 minutes or so later, cab driver calls and tells me he can't find Science Drive 2, though he is at Science Park. He then hints that I gave him wrong directions. That riled me. He puts down the phone and calls again some minutes later, telling me his stuck at Science Park and that I should re-start the can booking process. That's it.

I tried calling COMFORT again, getting it through only after non-stop attempts. That was followed by another wait to speak to the customer service officer. Told the officer and she puts me back on the automated queue.Didn't get any cab. Third and final try - by now rain has lightened. Poor customer service lady on the on the line coz by now I lost it! It's been 55 minutes of waiting. She tries to explain why cab driver 'blew me' off and finally agrees to help me find a cab, without putting me on the automated queue. She gets me one and he arrives 5 minutes as scheduled. He's a nice, slightly older uncle, who bothers explaining the route he's taking. HE knew I was upset and he tried his best to distract me.

I've run out of steam so Part II'll come tomorrow. My question is WHY?

2 comments:

pinto said...

Ouch... sounds like one of those Murphy's Law days. Taxi drivers really should carry a street directory with them (and learn how to use them, if necessary) as suggested by someone in the ST Forum recently.

Lunch or kopi? Hmmm... perhaps lunch?

Sonicstarburst said...

Sure thing dude...when I get back to NUS.Lunch would be great!