Thursday, December 7, 2006

Breathe

Had to take the the day off from RMBR again yesterday. Dad complained that he could not breathe well Wed night but REFUSED my pleas and naggings about going to a 24hur surgery or A&E. This morning, he could stand it no more (figuratively & literally) so I dragged him to see a doc.

Even walking from car park to the clinic was difficult. He had to stop a couple of times. Pretty scary as it's not very normal for dad to be in such a state. He's a terribly stubborn old chap. Had been trying to get him to see the doc since his cough started. Met with vehement refusals every time. It was amazing how he could treat his TIA so lightly as well. His argument is always 'Waste money, doctors very expensive' or 'they pump me with anti-biotics' or 'wait expose me to more radiation by making me go for MRI or CT-Scan'. I mean I may be currently 'permanently unemployed' but no matter the cost, his health comes first.

He was sent to Mt Alvernia Medical Centre for an x-ray. After 45 minutes, we got the report. Seems he has a long infection and has been put on antibiotics. Monday there'll be a review and another X-RAy. If it doesn't clear, the hospital's next.

Whoever said been an only kid was fun? Those among you who have no siblings like me would definitely understand the anxieties that we go though. When mom fell ill, it was like a ton of bricks had being piled on my shoulders. Though not as serious, Dad's TIA episode and lung infection is enough to have me on red alert again.It's a pretty scary feeling, knowing you're helpless and trying your best to do what you can. Even harder when the patient is finicky and obstinate. Ms L was very understanding when I called the museum yesterday and told her I'd be back on Tuesday. Perhaps a silver lining has come out of my sabbatical from work. It may have been hard for me to just take urgent leave to take Dad to the doct's or stay watch at home over him.

3 comments:

pinto said...

Hope your dad recovers soon. You take care too, yah?

minneyme said...

Stell, please send my regards to ur dad. Hope he feels better soon.

Sonicstarburst said...

Dear Ken,

Thanks. Guess I know where I'll be during lunchbreaks from RMBR.

Dear Irene,

Thanks gal. Will let him know. He's in ICU now and the doc hasnt told us much.Diagnosis heart n kidney failure. All I can do is wait.