Sunday, December 10, 2006

Update on Dad for Sunday 10 Dec 12:50pm

I came back to see Dad at 11am. I spent the night at the Coronary Care Unit, waiting for dad and walking in to check on him periodically. Had contemplated going home to sleep but just couldn't put myself to it. In this battle, my mind and heart won over my body. I went home around midnite, dumped the laptop at home, as I was afraid it might be stolen if I dozed off to sleep. Hence the lack of blog updates. Came back after I took shower.

E,along with S & CL came to keep me company. Wasn't much company as I was very sleepy and tired. Told them not to worry around 3am? and got them to go home and rest. I must have dozed off around 5am and woke up on time at about 7am to catch one of the CCU cardiologists.Went home intending to shower and go back to NUH but dozed off till about 10am. How could I have?

Latest on dad is that he is marginally more stable than yesterday PM. But he isn't out of the woods yet. The cardiologist on duty said that if he pulls through, he'll be in CCU/ICU for at least another 3-4 days. It's pretty much supportive care at the moment; treatment will come after this.

I've had to 'move back' to the ICU Waiting Lounge. The 2 lounges at CCU are always full of families, who seem to be having picnics in the waiting areas. The mess left behind is incredible. I almost puked early this am when I moved to the smaller of the CCU Lounges. Someone had left a trail of yesterday's lunch and dinner all over the wood laminate floors. Coupled with the fact that the door was closed, the smell lingered in the room. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against all this family bonding.My friends and family must have contributed to other visitors' chagrin yesterday as well. But we tried to confine ourselves to a corner, as well as keep our volumes down. However, I noticed that some other visitors are oblivious to the nursing staff's pleas. Definitely, it's a lot better here than it was when mom was warded in SGH. I remember scolding a few little tykes and getting nurses to threated them with injections.

Thanks for all the prayers. Must say a big THANK YOU to Fr Clifford & Fr Jivan & Fr Joe Nathan of the Franciscans/St Mary's parish. Between them, they arranged to get one of them over to give Dad the anointing of the sick.

Will have my next post whenever I can. I think I'm going to just take a short nap for awhile.

No comments: