Sunday, April 15, 2007

All By Myself

For the first time since Dad passed away, I have spent a complete entire weekend on my own. Drako's on a diving trip; I didn't feel up to looking for company. Though I must admit company seems harder to find nowadays. Maybe I am just becoming more of a recluse in my old age. Have tons of marking to catch up on but I haven't got round to it. I do miss dad and have been dreaming a lot of him, even mom. At times, I can almost hear that familiar cough and I tell myself it's all in my head

I have decisions to make on my future and have yet to set a firm decision. Tell myself and everyone around me that I'll actively send resumes but I haven't. In a way, I guess I feel an obligation to the 33 kids in my various English groups to stick around and see them through till October. Such mental anguish.

So what did I do? Other than ruin my new FURLA bag...should have known better than buy such a light taupe coloured bag. Well, I reluctantly left BED CENTRAL and checked out the Fash Bash at NAFA. It was just way too crowded for such a small room. Still good ideas abound which I may try if I decide to go into the one venture I have been thinking about. Then I walked to Sin Lit on Seah Street to see if they had the cupcake case I wanted. Followed to my favourite little oasis in that part of town - Ah Teng's Bakery at the Raffles. I didn't look at my watch so I didn't realise that lunch was over. However, I must have looked so pathetic that the Chef relented and made me a yummy roast chicken on ciabatta sandwich. I love Ah Teng's, it's full of old world charm and always peaceful no matter how quiet it gets.

I went to Raffles City and made an unscheduled stop into the Adidas Original Store. Saw this glamourous couple; apparently some Pan-Asian type, Malaysian starlet. Well, they did make a nice couple. Then it was off to Erskine Road for a jaunt! Didn't make it to Maxwell Market but had my favourite brew at Front Row. Took a bus ride to Buona Vista on 145 and did some reflecting. My heart stirred when we hit Vivocity and Harbourfront. That was dad's favourite haunt and part of me kept wishing I'd be there meeting him. There are still places I try to avoid because it's too painful to recall the times dad and I hung out there. As Craig David sung once. 'You don't miss your water till the well runs dry'. I guess I realise even more now how we should never take the folks around us for granted, ever.But we all do so I shall aspire this year to live and love more.

No comments: