Monday, December 11, 2006

Update on Dad 11 Dec 9:09pm

Those who know me, also know that my Chinese names translates to 'Plum Blossom'.(Thanks Dad! I have been the butt of all jokes not in my childhood days over this but NOW!) So her is an 'AH HUI' sitting in the middle of NUH Level 2 with Laptop writing a a blog. I have finally found a spot where I can log on to my NUS Visitor account.

Anyway, I could not have blogged today, as dad had quite a few visitors. They have lowered the level of sedatives and medications, but the prognosis remains the same. To be prepared for anything not so good. Sedatives have worn off and his eyes are open. He keeps them open and shuts them. I am convinced he can hear us, though it seems his gaze may not be focused entirely on us. It can be scary, as it reminds me of what mom went through in her last few days. Nope shall not let negativity get to me.

I had to call NUH's Quality Service Office. They must think I am the BIGGEST you-know-what around. But this Ah Hui got slang a bit also and spoke in her crispest Washingtonian accent. Always does the trick. I am trying not to be on edge. But at times, when the emotions are raw, tempers may flare.

After a few days around ICU & CCU, you start to recognise other families around you. Well, Drakon and I were in Ward 23 waiting rm (yes we got a spot - 'tiok bey pio' (struck the lottery in Hokkien, shall not use the cruder version, as I know my BIG cousins in Canada are reading this blog and I have a SQUEAKY CLEAN reputation to maintain). I was in and out of dad's room. Then this patient from the wards above came down, with an entourage of 7 family members. I could hear the family remark that this place is a good place to hangout as it has free TV. One of the men i n the group, reaches the Volume switch and turns it up REAL LOUD. All this without considering the rest of the CCU patients' families who had spent the night in hospital, in the very lounge and were trying to rest. Oh yes, and one of them had a major pong which made me feel like throwing up.

So I suggested to a very sleepy Drakon that we should go have lunch out of NUH and try one of the new cafes at the University Cultural Centre. So we did but we took the wrong internal NUS Shuttle. NUS is on a ridge - so ups and downs are all over. Well, someone decided to climb up the hill back to the free car park slot our Pasir Panjang Kakis told me about. Can die ah! I should have been in CCU after lugging a 2kg lap top and other toiletries up the steep slope.

Was nice to get away and eat at a 'posh' place - don't ask how much lunch was. Food was usual price for a bistro setting. Coffee served with Irish Cream cost the same price as a small latte at one of the 'ang mo' kopi joints. Drakon said definitely going back but not asking for water this time ($3 per bottle - we had 3!) I just had salad - can't hold much down.

I am rambling again! Anyway, time to go check on dad. Will post again if I don't lose my signals.

No comments: