Sunday, August 12, 2007

Next Change

Change is a given. Ironically, it is also the only constant in my life and maybe everyone else's.I was someone's daughter, now I am an orphan. I was a student, now I am a somewhat teacher. Places and faces change in my life and keeps evolving, spinning. Only I seem not to change. A godsister told me I shouldn't try to change the people around me but change myself instead. An old friend told me that catching up with me was always a good thing coz I'm still young at heart. Hehe, well my salary is still in the category of a fresh graduate while my friends have reallyh moved up the corporate ladder. Soon another change will come in my life but it isn't a change that I didn't anticipate - it's a change that SHOULD have come sooner.

This may not have anything remotely related to my blurb above but it was the trigger that got me thinking about change the whole night. Holland Village, as anyone who knows me would know, is like a second home for me. My first lantern during Mid-Autumn Festival came from the old provision shops that front Holland Avenue. Dad and mom use to take me to Block 40 Holland Drive, the red brick building for satay. My first date with the ex was at Holland Village, as was my first taste of skipping school for pancakes at Better Batter, when Chip Bee was not the hip and happening place it is now.

30 some years on, I still get my lanterns at the one lone old style shop on the strip, I shop at the Chip Bee shops. Even more so, it's the place I spend one day a week working. Nothing remains static at the Hive (what Draks calls the place), ever evolving and changing.Yesterday, I realised one of my favorite stores, Anthropology is empty,not sure if they are renovating or moved out for good. Another favorite hangout, Provence is suddenly full of people, after it was featured in the papers. And I hope I'm not the last to know as usual. Marmalade Pantry, one of my favorite eateries; though a tad pretentious some of my friends say, will be opening a new outlet. It's taken over the spot vacated by Cafe Rosso, which used to be Chaplins and before that Java Jive. Though I bake my own cupcakes when I have the time, the Pantry's cupcakes are still my favorites, especially the Limonata. Probably coz frosting and icings are something I am trying to master. So the Hive's uber-cool quotient has gone up a notch, rentals will surely hit the roof now. Hey but at least I will be well-fed.

1 comment:

blobbes said...

well that's bitter-sweet news. I actually liked Cafe Rosso. Pity it couldn't survive. Still, a Marmalade outlet is not one to sniff at...